feedspot.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/woodturning_216px.png

Monday 30 March 2020

Lock down update 6

Up until yesterday I had only fitted one end so yesterday I thought I would fit the other end and was sure it would be simple and nothing could go wrong.
As I had a comment on my Number 5 update that it looked complicated probably because I had not explained it well enough I decided to take more pics and see if I could do better.
The next 4 pics are what I did yesterday and I will go through them with you .

In this first pick you can see the Tenons with the holes drilled slightly closer to the shoulder so that when the dowels are driven in it will squeeze the end up tight to the shoulder.
 This shows the end board on top of and in line with the holes in the Mortices and the holes only go through as far as the bottom of the Mortice not right through.
 This is as far as the Dowels will go and only the top will be glued
 As you can see here it is all lined up.Then I fitted the end Board complete with glued Dowels.

This is where it all went wrong I was lying in bed this morning thinking about how to make this clearer on my Blog when it downed on me I had not elongated the holes in the Mortices to allow for movement.The other end was Ok I could remember doing it.As the whole object of the exercise is to allow for expansion and contraction it had to be put right.

Luckily I was able to drill out the Dowels without doing any damage and start again all part of the learning curve
This is the Pic of the holes from the other end elongated with a rasp and I have done the same on this end.
Loading up the Drum sander with some new 180 Grit abrasive


 A couple of passes on both sides now the top irs completed just a bit of hand sanding to finish the top and now I have to think about Legs.
 Put a small Mitre all around the top and bottom on the Router Table.
 With the top now finished the next thing is to make the legs and decide which way up the top will be both sides are very nice.









2 comments:

  1. Looks like it's going well. I'm looking forward to further episodes. My carpentry skills are almost non-existent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you that is very kind of you.Not something I am experienced with and I make mistakes but I do enjoy it.Thank you for commenting it is a lot of extra work but I dont mind as long as people are interested.
      What is your name please

      Delete