feedspot.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/woodturning_216px.png

Monday 10 June 2019

Large Parcel continued



I recently had a very large parcel delivered it was a gift from a very good Mate.
If you look back two posts you will get some more info.
The parcel contained a very large Sycamore Burr quite honestly I have never seen anything like it and the weight was too much for me to lift and I am no weakling.
The problem was how to cut it to get the most out of it being so unusual I did not want to waste any.
As I mostly turn Bowls and have very little interest in anything else i was determined to get as many as possible.
My Brother Chris was coming here today because he was having some work done on his van so I thought two heads being better than one we will see what we can do .
I have now cut it up and have taken some pictures to tell the story.

 As you can see this is a very large Burr.

Thank you Andrew Williams for letting me have this wonderful Burr and my Brother Chris for helping me cut it up



We decided to cut the Burr into three slices this is going to be the first one

This saw is a monster and soon makes short work of the cutting.I sharpened the chain prior to starting and it was like a hot knife through butter


Taking the second slicing cut 24" Bar with crosscut chain.
This Saw will take up to a 36" bar so this is well within its capabilities






Bowl Blanks marked out to get the best sizes we can


I have decided to core out some Blanks from the thicker bits and I m preparing this one for coring

Managed to get three Blanks out of this one >The Graduate has plenty of power for coring so that is good I was not sure if it would have.



What a lovely bit of wood


Roughed out and looking amazing


Not easy to rough out as you can see these are well out of Balance
The results are worth the effort




Some I cored but some were not thick enough so they are just roughed out




In the end I got 16 really nice Bowl Blanks

 Not a lot of wastage.

No comments:

Post a Comment