I had a problem photographing this piece it is so shiny i cant seem to avoid reflections.
This piece was originally hollowed out at Yandles show by Mark Sanger.
He gave it to me to dry and finish.
After a few weeks I returned it to the lathe and found there was no distortion so i hollowed it down quite thin microwaved it several times and air dried it.
I microwaved this piece in many sessions on defrost for 4 minute intervals allowing the piece to cool and settle.
I am not exactly sure how many times I did it but it would be a couple of sessions then leave it for a day or two before repeating this allows the wood to settle.
After the first half a dozen sessions I would return the piece to a carrier bag to control the drying.
Yesterday I finished and coloured it and applied one coat of varnish.
This morning I applied a second coat of varnish.
After hollowing it was sanded with 120 grit then spirit stain colour added as the lathe was turning at about 700 Rpm.
I then went through the grades down to 600 grit adding colour between each grade,
I always start with dark colours first and build the colours up with lighter colours finishing with yellow.
I always Finnish with yellow whatever the underlying colours as the yellow gives it a nice glow.
Then I applied two coats of Woodoc 20 obtainable from Phil Irons. After the first coat I rubbed it down with grey Webrax before applying the second coat.