Saturday, 9 December 2017

I am on a Roll

I am on a roll the Gods of woodturning are shining down on me I have just had another easy day another Student that took to it like a Duck to water.
Well done Ruaridh you were a pleasure to teach and great company.

Friday, 8 December 2017

Shane is a natural

I know I have said this many times and I will probably say it many more times .Anybody can learn Woodturning ,some take to it strait away and some have to really work at it.You don't have to be strong ,it has nothing to do with strength you don't have to be particularly clever or be able to read and write but with application it is learnable.
If you want to make a very good Woodturner you have to apply yourself to the task and stick at it.In my opinion Tuition is the short cut to being a good Turner I know that has a cost but it is well worth it.Some good turners are self taught but most of them will admit that they would have improved a lot quicker if they had Tuition when they started out.
Would be woodturners come to me for Tuition and they vary greatly in their ability but the thing they all have in common is they enjoy Woodturning. Occasionally I get a Student that is that little bit special andhas a natural ability and my Student Shane today is one of these very lucky gifted people,in my opinion.Shane was very easy to teach and that is always a good sign.I only had to show him something once and not only was he very quickly able to do it he understood why he was doing it and it made sense to him.
Thanks for an easy day Shane Susan and I enjoyed your company and look forward to seeing you again.
Stick at it Mate you have the makings of a good Woodturner.

Shane and thevery nice Beech bowl he turned today.

Wednesday, 6 December 2017


Turned some Snowmen this morning they are turned and sanded for kids to paint.
They are approx 4" to 6" high

Wednesday, 29 November 2017

Saturday, 25 November 2017

Richard and Toby

Richard and his Son Toby were with me today for a days woodturning experiance.
The day was bought for them as a Birthday present for Toby.
I am sure they bothe enjoyed their day here and they both turned very nice Beech bowls.
Richard is so inspired he is thinking he will probably take up woodturning as a hobby.

Saturday, 18 November 2017

Four lovely Ladies.

I was asked recently by Elaine if I would like to Tutor herself and three friends for a days woodturning experience.As I do not as a rule teach more than two Students at a time I spoke to my Brother Chris and asked him if he would like to work with me for the day teaching four ladies.Chris and I have worked together many times over the years on building projects and always got on well and worked together well but never teaching woodturning.We both carry out out woodturning very much the same way and having spent a lot of time discussing teaching over the years we both teach about the same.The day went very well the Ladies were great company and we had lots of laughs and the Ladies Elaine,Jane Ilse and Rebecca all went away with beautiful Beech Bowls.
Thank you Ladies we enjoyed your company and hopefully we will see you again some time in the future.

Here are some pics I took during the day.

Left to right Rebecca,Elaine,Jane and Ilse when the arrived.

 We added some texture and colour to the rims to give the Ladies something special to take home.

 Don't they look pleased with themselves and so they should they did well.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017

Barry's Bowl

Barry was comming here for two days but unfortunatly due to things beyond his control he only did  one day
Given a choice of wood Barry chose Cedar of Lebenon and turned a beutiful bowl.
Well done barry I look forward to seeing you again soon.